Monday, July 21, 2008

'Why pay a dollar for a bookmark? Why not use the dollar for a bookmark?'

I have decided to start collecting bookmarks. Now, it's not my birthday yet but I do like presents... very much... hint hint. :)

Today I cam across the University of the West of England's Bookmarks project which distributes a series of free artworks in the form of bookmarks to libraries internationally. The project aims to promote the artist's book and associated artworks. The new series can be seen in September. Here are a few of my favourites from last year's selection:





I also came across the Mirage Bookmark site which is a reference site devoted to bookmarks with features such as Bookmark Quotes, galleries, Most Interesting Bookstores of the World and Most Interesting Libraries of the World -

The Central Public Library in Vancouver, Canada (I now want to live in Vancouver, preferably in the library itself.)

City Library of Stockholm

Now, this is something I hadn't thought of doing with paper yet: Paper Music by Paul Jackson You can listen to some of the pieces on the site, it's actually really beautiful.

Paper Music is the making of music from paper sound sources. That is: all the
sounds originate from paper. In its purest form, Paper Music does not attempt to
replicate the sounds of conventional musical instruments, but explores the
potential of paper as an accoustic medium.


I am now off to annoy my Mrs. with some delightful paper music sounds. See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

Where or where do you find this amazing stuff!? Paper music?? Seriously???? That's so awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eleanor, thank you for visiting Mirage Bookmark site. It's marvellous that you decided to collect bookmarks now. I think your artwork Pink Nails and Yoyo would give a wonderful bookmark. You could register in the list bookmark collectors on Mirage website to exchange bookmarks all over the world. Take care, madcrow